Thursday 4 December 2014

Autumn trees: IV Touch

I had thought that the 'Autumn Trees' sequence had finished, but another poem has emerged to make some sort of ending for the four poems which now form this section.

This is the latest of them.


IV.      Touch



Only the unfortunate remain.
Down on their luck, a sorry sight.
Stained, shapeless, flaunting,
shamelessly, a refusal to accept
the mandatory modern mode
of stark black fighting grey.

I take one from a branch’s end.
It separates with ease and
moisture at the break tells me
the xylems are still feeding
to the death.

The leaf, now in my hand,
is leather landscape:
polder patchwork
burnt by water’s lack;
vein roads; gashed,
empty lakes of eaten space,
and darker urban shades.
Perhaps bombardment, aerial view,
distinct and photo-like.

Broken to satisfy a
light poetic whim!

- And with the body? -

By my cup, motionless. 
But with a speed that is too slow
for my fast life to see,
its withering accelerates,
because of me.
                      
                       And now,
between end pages,
folded twice, it’s
pressed into my notes.












I think that this will be the end of this topic for the moment, but as I see these trees each time I have a swim who knows what may come of the seasons yet untouched!

No comments:

Post a Comment