Monday 30 March 2015

POEMS IN HOLY WEEK ii. Monday - City

Years ago there was a period when I seemed to be taking people to hospital for all sorts of reasons, breaks, sprains and illness.  As a confirmed blood donor I felt that this ferrying was part of my deal with the fates to keep me out of the place as a patient!  That compact seemed to hold for a good long time, but now I find that I am visiting surgeries and outpatients more as a customer than a driver!
          As part of my sequence on Poems in Holy Week, I used my experience of going for a test to focus ideas of mortality and, at least for me, one of the ways that we can get a sense of perspective: observation and metaphor.
          I am not sure if there is enough in this poem to make the sense of the narrative clear, just as I am not sure that my conclusion is an ending.  Perhaps that is part of the point!
          I will print the poem here as a way of keeping the sequence alive and also as a way of laying down an expression of a feeling for later development.

Poems in Holy Week


ii.        Monday - City


                  the concentrated dust
I eat each day;
tablets I believe
more slavishly
than those of law;
my packages against
mortality and what’s
inevitable,

                                   I find,
each day, my life acquires
new acronyms, significant
but I don’t know
exactly what they mean

                  I go for tests that are
increasingly intrusive
and undignified
                  just like today when

in the city, in a hospital,
with papers and identity
I’m shuffled off to wait
                  and think,

I stare at chairs,

the sort that do not
fit in homes, but
are the stuff of
                  public space,

The chairs are grey,
with lacquered metal arms
which curve with elegance
up, forward, slightly splayed.
Two curved, matt planes
for back and seat as if
carefully cut from
fragile shell of giant egg,
thin, delicate.  They take
light well, reflecting gleams
in unexpected, subtle ways.

They people emptiness
with waiting space and
give expectancy to absence.

I know I will be called,

things done,
decisions made,

and chairs will not be
a consideration.




I have used punctuation, line length and positioning in more obvious ways in this poem than is my usual approach.  I would appreciate feedback on this, or indeed on any other aspect of the poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment