Sunday 27 December 2015

Standing on thin ice.

A week or so ago, I saw my own breath as I was cycling to my early morning padel lesson at my local leisure centre.  That is the nearest that we have got to ice in Castelldefels for a long time.  I have seen snow in Barcelona (though that was some years ago) but we are by the sea, the air is mild and we do not have naturally occurring ice!  So this poem relates to my past.
     Living in Rumney in Cardiff in the early 1960s, the garden of our house ended in a raised wall and over that there was an uninterrupted slope down to the bottom of the valley and the meandering River Rumney.  We didn't keep that view for long and soon what land could be built on was, but the valley floor was a large area of flood plain which was basically grass covered alluvial mud, drained by irrigation ditches called 'reens' and (inadequately) protected from the river by raised banks.  In other words it was an ideal area to walk the dog and safe from development.
     Although Cardiff is colder than Castelldefels, it is mild for Britain and seeing ice in the reens was always an experience, as was seeing the weeds, grass and reeds be frost coated and look strange and beautiful.
     I was a tall and solid boy, cursed to be in the second row in rugby in primary and secondary school, so ice had to be solid to take my weight.  Parts of the River Rumney used to freeze, but rarely entirely.  The Rumney is a tidal river where my old house used to be and brackish water has a lower freezing point than fresh.
     Standing on thin ice is about a combination of memories rather than a specific one and I think that its subject matter is concerned with words and definitions as much as the seasons and winter ice.
     It has taken me a number of drafts to get the poem to its present state and I am sure that it will change again before I am fully satisfied, but I think it has reached a level of development which justifies printing it for others to see.




Standing on thin ice



What is the season’s point
unless it is to change your world?
Its offer shows a way
to question what you thought you knew,
and look again at everyday to
count the differences that count.

My memory of outdoor ice
is never clear and pure.

On sluggish water sumped in reens,
stopped by the cold, and sheeted by
a shot-silk milkiness, it tattered
to the edges where the
pokers, knives and pins
stood silently aloof
(ghost-dusted growth)
like Christmas gaudiness
Miss Havisham could never have
in her small, time-stopped world.

But there and then, a
frost-poised moment,
invitation just to step
on faith and stand
with confidence on memory
of what was there before.
To feel the skin you’re on
freeze through the skin you’re in.

Meanwhile, the dog,
a city boy’s excuse to walk
through strangeness crisped,
pranced on the bank
and would not join me
on my crazing spot
to share a new perspective
from the water’s top.

Were I to take you back,
I’d never find the point
along that muddy brook.

It was a moment in a word,
and not a place.

It isn’t Knaves or Jacks
that limit sight;
its knowing both are
different and the same
and very odd.





I have given the reference to Miss Havisham and the 'Knaves and Jacks' a considerable amount of thought.  I feel that they fit and the poem justifies their inclusion, but I am also aware that they can overbalance the piece by dragging in something which is altogether more powerful than my words might be able to contain.  I suppose that I considered the risk was worth taking - though the final judgement on that is not necessarily mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment