Friday 1 April 2016

Swimming Pool Archaeology

I wrote myself to relevance in my notebook!  In other words I started off with something like a reminder to myself and then moaned about an idea which had come to me while swimming and had then entirely disappeared from my memory and finally something about the weather.  It was only after a page of banality that the title for this poem came to me.

     Swimming takes up a frighteningly large percentage of my waking day: I know this because, in an idle moment, I did a little sum on the back of an envelope (the whole traditional thing) and worked out roughly how much time I spent going to the pool; getting changed; swimming; getting showered and dressed, ready to have my post swim cup of tea and complete some sort of writing in my notebook.  I have no intention of telling you what astonishing period of time this takes up during a year, but it does explain why a significant proportion of my poetic work takes its experience directly or indirectly from the swimming pool!

     Those of you who swim will know that, although swimming can be a fixation, it is, essentially boring.  You just go up and down a swimming pool.  I don't even vary my stroke, it is overarm all the way.  For sixty lengths.  A metric mile.  Job done.  It fulfils some sort of need in me, and a day feels empty if I do not do my swim, but I also recognise that it is boring.

     So, your mind tends to wander.  Strange thoughts and preoccupations fill the space and you sometimes have to remind yourself of the rhythm that is keeping you going - or the mouth full of water tells you that you need to pay more attention to the mechanics of water propulsion!

     As you are basically following a black line for your lengths, a black line on white tiles, anything which is not black or white tends to get your attention.  This is why any detritus tends to be noticed by the length swimmer.  The list of rubbish that forms part of one of the stanzas of the poem is a cumulative one, I have never seen that amount of stuff in the pool at any one time.  Our pool is kept clean and I wouldn't want anyone to think that the excellent staff do anything less then their jobs!

     But you do notice things and this poem, is like many of my poems, in being one of observation.  Observation and speculation.  At least, that is what I was aiming for.  It is for the reader to tell me whether that has been achieved!

    I have to admit that I really like the title.  I find it satisfyingly complicating!


Swimming Pool Archaeology


How long, after a normal day,
does it take the pool to purify?
And what exactly counts as ‘pure’?

The cheek-by-jowl of swimming
is not kept apart by
distance, floats and lanes;
our intimate immersion makes communion
much more visceral than lip-smudged
chalices, passed hand to hand.

We skim the clear-slab-world
and need no radar to discern
narrative debris lying there, beneath.

Under more weight than dirt can press:
scrunches, threads,
earrings and hoops,
sequins, tabs,
plasters and hair –
and other stuff too small to stop
our eyesight passing through.

I saw, during one turn,
and recognized by shape,
that which had floated off the day before:
inadequately fixed
to my wrist band,
a paper rectangle,
with printed number. 
One-o-one?


A passing thought:

I could stop.
Retrieve the artefact,
because . . . 

What is the point of keeping
something of no worth?
What purpose could it serve?
Where would it rest
during remaining lengths?
Would it survive transition to the air?

It was mine (on loan),
then lost, now found.
It was authentication
of an effort made;
a small thing
in a small-thing world,
that binds our little
lives with something,
almost like sense –

            and I had turned
and swum into the straight.

The Smartwatch Martinet
does not encourage pause.
And I swam through my
metric mile.

And then forgot.

Was my quick glance
enough to certify
the number’s truth?
How did it make
the purifying night?

Or was I making sense
of randomness,

again?






I have also completed a new version of Poems in Holy Week.  The last set of Poems in Holy Week, called Clocks of Dust were published in Flesh Can Be Bright, this year's set called Rites of Arrested Time will be published in the next volume of my poetry called . . . the eloquence of broken things . . . which is scheduled to be published in early Spring of 2017 by PRAETORIUS BOOKS.








No comments:

Post a Comment