Monday 20 April 2015

Petty

Return (when do I ever leave it!) to one of my favourite subjects, the swimming pool.  Although I go to swim every day, I do not go at exactly the same time, so I see a variety of people of all ages who accompany me on my swims.  This does not make me more accommodating!  The perfect pool for me is an empty one with only one swimmer - myself!  This rarely happens, but usually I am lucky and am able to get a lane to myself.  Usually, but not always!  As an only child 'sharing' as a concept has not been something close to my heart, and certainly not when swimming.
          Most of my fellow swimmers are fine and any confusion is, I am sure, more due to my not fully understanding the language than anything else.  Some people, however, are simply plain rude and/or selfish.
          If I have to share a lane, I do so with good grace - as long as my fellow swimmers are equally considerate.  Diagonal backstroke in a confined space is not what Robert Frost had in mind when he wrote about 'good neighbours'!
          I usually outlast my fellow swimmers and so I recognise that any sharing will be temporary and  something which can be tolerated and is obviously character building.
          Some things do rankle and the simmering feelings contained in the following poem have been building up to their fitting expression!
          I am conscious that this a a relatively long poem on a relatively unimportant, even trivial, event - but it obviously meant something to me.  I hope my readers will be able to relate too.


Petty




First length is for warm up;
then crawl ‘work out’ starts,
and finishes after a metric mile,
with two slow end-to-ends of breast.

Yesterday, I looked around and saw
there were no vacant lanes for me
to swim.  I chose, therefore, to take
the free and common space
for those who splash.

As I approached the end of my
first length where, nowadays,
I stretch and set my watch,
a woman of a certain age,
cosmetics waterproof and nails
a crimson red, swam past
into my length’s end and
indicated I should move away
to the far side so she could
swim alone (next to the floats)
and ‘properly’.

Instinctive chivalry dictated
I accept her terms. 
                        But as
I moved I realized that she
assumed that I was one of those
slow men who clutter up the pool
with painful strokes and little pace.

I moved and took my place
along a side cluttered with
exit steps and started my
true swim. 
                        I was the better,
without doubt, quicker and
more purposeful and I soon
lapped her plodding speed.

I hope she spoke no English
as, I understand, expletives voiced
in water carry far!  And voice I did
each time I passed her form!

My tricked gentility gave sharp
intent to arbitrary length and
fifteen hundred metres soon
passed by – while she moved to a empty
lane as soon as possibly she could –
and I resumed my place where
I had started out
                        – and she left
long before I did.


Is this a poem or a peevish rant?

And does it matter if it says
something significant to me?

Our lives from day to day
are not defined by shattering events;
rather by how the busses run
and whether there is time for tea.

I am surprised by just how
ritualized my daily swim’s become
and how disturbed I am
by what I take to be
divergence from the norm
(defined by me) and, perhaps,

I need to pause a space,

and think about my passion for
an exercise contained
and destination-less
as swimming is.



One day I will count up the number of poems I have written about swimming and perhaps start worrying about my focus of my poetic attention.  Meanwhile I will continue to write about those aspects of life which I find interesting and worry about the depth that I go into certain aspects of my life later!


No comments:

Post a Comment