Thursday 9 April 2020

PIHW 5 Maundy Thursday - Choice

Sometimes you feel that you are living through important times, life-changing times – and sometimes you are.  I do not have a World War as part of my memory and those times where the world has allegedly changed I did not feel that I was an integral part of that process.  It was as if the change was something important that was going on outside my everyday experience and it could be relayed to me by television and the press, dressed up by columnists informing me about how the days we were living through were significant; I could read about it in books later and see the historic period that I had daydreamed through in its proper context.
     The 3-day week; the Miners’ Strike; The Falklands Conflict; The Cold War; wars various and international; the EU; Brexit; The Financial Crash and all the other events.  I went on working and getting paid.  What really changed?
     One feels that Covid-19 is something that must (surely) make a lasting difference.  People have died.  The whole of our way of life has been disrupted.  Our political masters have been at best inept and at worst criminally culpable.  Things cannot be the same after the crisis is over.  Or can they?
     The poem today considers memory and how we deal with it.  The horrific journey I made from Turkey to Wales in the 1980s was one that I swore I would never smile about; it was just too awful to be softened by time into something acceptable.  But it was so softened and has become something I can look back on and remember with affection.
     I am not saying that the present crisis is going to be something that we can look back on and smile, though I am sure that there will be funny aspects of it for individuals – as long as they survive.  And it is that survival that is a crucial aspects of the crisis.
     We are all involved in the crisis because we are in lockdown.  But I don’t know anyone who has had the virus and I therefore don’t know anyone who has died.  Every day we have statistics that point out the numbers of the infected around us and the number of the dead – but none of them are those we know.  So the crisis is real and at the same time unreal.  We believe what we are told but have no experience of what the statistics say.  So how, eventually, will we look back on this time.
     As we are literally in the middle of the crisis (geographically and statistically) we have a long way to go before hindsight can come into play.  But the poem speculates now.

 

 

 

Choice




I told myself I’d never smile
when I recall what I endured
on foot, by car, in taxi, plane and bus
to get from Turkey back to Wales:
English swearing, foul-mouthed scrum;
threatened Tarom Airway clerk;
German, shouting, lost it, gone;
Russian wanting to defect;
Cyclist, Czech with eyes on West;
baying crowds for Tarom blood!
Details thump back as I think
with anger, pain and disbelief.
But let the narrative go hang
on spoken scraps that I can list:
“The plane is full!  Join other queue!”
“There might be.  Another one.”
“No pounds!  No dollars!  Only lei!”
“Do you drink Vodka, and with Coke?”
“What?  London flight is gone!  Is gone!”
“Calmo!  Calmo!  Calmo!”
“An hour, or maybe two – who knows?”
“This ticket doesn’t get a seat.”
But I’m chuckling as I write,
the nightmare gentled into tale.

But.

Some memories will always hurt
beyond the smile of edited recall,
because it’s simply right they should.

Sharpness blunts with time, they say,
but the unwary, careless thought
can snag and rip the opening wound
(that never, ever, really healed) and
the old lemon’s squeezed again
in open eyes that bring the brine
to soak away the stubborn stains
hid out of sight, but not of mind

of deaths, mistakes, and nastiness,
chicanery dressed up as truth,
the lies, from grey to black and white,
and things that live in metaphor:
the accusations from faith past
of things undone and those things done
and there’s no health.

And how will we look back on this,
when we’ve decided where we are,
and just how is it we’re involved,
when all mortality is ‘over there’
and death is nobody we know?

No comments:

Post a Comment