Friday 10 April 2020

PIHW 6 Good Friday in Holy Week - Church visiting


For reasons that are not entirely clear to me as an atheist, I make a real effort to visit a church on Good Friday.  I do not stay for a service and sometimes my visit is fleeting, but I feel a need to visit a church on Good Friday. 
     This year because of Covid-19 and the lockdown visiting a church was impossible.  And I surprised myself by how much I felt the loss. 
     As I always describe myself as an Anglican Atheist it is easy to suppose that my desire is a nagging fag-end of the faith that I once had trying to get me back.  But I truly do not think that this is so.  I am comfortable with my atheism, but I am equally comfortable with accommodating my knowledge of the Bible and the liturgy of the Anglican Church together with Hymns Ancient and Modern, a smattering of Christian theology and the history of religion, knowledge of the Lives of the Saints and their depiction in art, and a working knowledge of Church Architecture!  A chunk of my cultural background in grounded in Christianity and is an essential part of who I am, but I simply do not have the Christian Faith.
     I am also aware of the “methinks he doth protest too much” argument which avers that my very avowal of atheism masks my essential faith in Christianity.  I think not, but I have friends who are totally convinced by such an assessment.
     I feel comfortable in churches, but especially in smaller, older, more restrained Anglican churches like Saint Augustine’s in Rumney, which is a solid barn-like building with fewer of the gory Baroque excesses of Roman Catholic decoration.  But I do get some satisfaction from churches that are far from my parochial ideal.
     So, in the following poem I have tried to express what I feel about the fact that I have broken the tradition of visiting a church on Good Friday and I also try to address a part of what I feel that I do when I write.


Church visiting



Dexterity for me is
jabbing, interrupted glide
across and up and down
well-polished keys.
My fingers feel for words,
they know where letters are
without my thought,
and thus I draw my pictures
without pen,
my comfortable places:                               
book-lined walls,
a well-placed lamp,
a polished-sturdy desk,
a back-supporting chair,
a white-clear screen.
Is all.  I tell myself.  I need.

And yet.  Today I am denied.
Today I go to church.
To any church.
Only for moments.
For one day in the year.
Today’s the day.  Today.
It’s what I do.
But I’m to house confined.
And now I find
that all my fingers can
in conjuring a place, the sounds,
the smells, the feel of pews,
the gleam of glass, the statues’
glassy stares, the shuffles of
the Others there, are not enough.

I am not there.  Enough.
My words are not enough.
I need a ‘there’.
Because I want to take
and not to give.  Today.
One day to take.
And I have been denied,
more than a day.




No comments:

Post a Comment