Wednesday 4 February 2015

Existential bus stop

Existential bus stop




I stand in justified inaction
watching sunshine dapple pavement
where I am not.  I do not move.
Because I think I have a place
within a strange, unstructured queue
of calculating travellers who wait
within their squares of pavement
for an absent but anticipated bus.

Like chess pieces we have our moves,
ready to gain an opening door.
There are no shelter seats.  We stand.
And long before we castle
check or mate, discomfort starts.

Where does the pain begin?
Foot, instep, ankle, back,
calf, knee, or neck, or thigh?

I lean against a breeze-block post
and study drawings chiaroscuroed
by the dirt in cracks of rough cement.
And note the subtleties of green
in fleshy-leaf obtrusiveness
which spurns the winter’s scythe.

And where’s the bloody bus?
Each twenty minutes it says there.
And if I missed the last
the next should have been here by now!

But busses, just like cats, are well aware
of those who hate, and they
demand a price. 
            Each corner-hidden
engine sounds just like a bus
until it’s just another car.

Until it’s not. 

At last. 

And then
we’ll have what we’ve
been waiting for –
an opportunity
to journey on
to join another queue.












No comments:

Post a Comment