Friday 20 February 2015

Winter trees - i. Dead leaves

I have been making notes for a new series of poems on 'Winter trees' to link to the series on 'Autumn trees' - you can see where this is going.  I like the challenge of writing linked shorter poems on a topic which has been so central to poetry for as long as we have been around.
          This is the first that I have written from a whole backlog of notes and I have found it very hard going.  What you see here is very much a draft and I imagine that it will undergo a whole series of edits before it makes it to a book.  But I do think that there is something here worth working on.  I think.


Winter trees




i.  Dead leaves

Dust-delicate, thin
fallen, lace reveals
the scaffold’s shards
and splinters.  Sharp,
root-clawing into blue,
the branches show us
what can not be seen.

And distant spring
is coiled into the trunk
for the surprise that’s
old, and always new.



Already I have edited this poem and redrafted it - perhaps that is a sign of the 'hard going' I mentioned!  I think this is an improvement, but it has a way to go yet.


i.  Dead leaves

Dust-delicate,
thin, fallen lace
reveals
the scaffold’s shards and
splinters. 
Sharp,
root-clawing into blue,
the branches show
what isn’t seen.

And distant Spring
coiling
inside the trunk
for the surprise
that will be old,

yet always new.



I will probably not post another version of this unless there are real and substantive differences.

So much, for what I said in the last sentence.  This is a third version and I am going to give my editing zeal a rest and look back on this some time in the future.


i.  Dead?

Dust-delicate,
thin, fallen lace
of weathered leaves
denudes
the stark geometry. 
Naked,
root-clawing into blue,
the branches strain
from hidden depths.

And distant Spring
coils deep
inside the trunk
and waits for the
surprise
that’s ages old,
and yet, each time,
is new.




I'm sure these versions say something about the way I work, but perhaps I need to press on with other poems and give the thoughts here time to settle!




No comments:

Post a Comment