Saturday 14 February 2015

Scare

Scare




Day 1

Nothing was there.

Because only undifferentiated skin
was there before.  
                            A vague
but tactile, little lump
filled ‘nothing’ with a
budding fear that grew
quite circumstanially:
it’s in the danger area, armpit and
lymph-nodes-cancer-death
screamed behind cold logic which
averred that all this fuss was
just a simple pimple’s pus.

Day 2

Do I recall an itch, a vague
uncomfortableness
under the arm, before
an object formed for touch?
Perhaps.  But what is not a question
is the fact that there is now a
new off-centre focus to my
universe which radiates to
utter dark and tightens to a
limb: the arm, arm pit, on
the left side.

Day 3

So, I have shown it off,
or rather shown it to,
and I’ve been told to wait
and see if it gets worse.

When I touch, there is no pain.
But it is something
foreign I don’t want.

This thing has crawled out from
my skin and scrawled on paper.
It is now a character, as in a tale.
But you can close a book;
the page within my arm
still turns.

Day 4

In spite of everything
I have been told,
my questing fingers seem to lead
a life which is their own.
‘Leave it alone’ is right
and proper and impossible. 
So what was just a slight
protuberance is now a thing
of rage. 
And I can sense the vessels
in my arm are skirmishing;
or are they digging in
for a much longer war?

Day 5

The thing is not positioned
so the view’s direct.
The bathroom light is dim,
the mirror misted and
there’s so much more
imagination tells
than I can see.

The Savlon’s not to hand, and so
I try a Spanish salve which uses
iodine to rub in confidence.
Such ointments help to soothe
away the cancerous fear - 
if not cancer itself.

Day 6

I know the thing is there,
by sense, if not by feel.
There is no pain,
just doubt.

Day 7

Still there.
Though now there is a need
to search.  I want it gone,
and yet it centres my concern.
I trace a finger round the
contours of unease
and speculate about beneath.

Day 8

The passing blimp.
The small and giving dirigible
just waiting for the slicing light
and corpuscular ack-ack to
see it off.

The Jabberwock is slain -
although my soft and silent thought
still wonders.






No comments:

Post a Comment