Tuesday 3 February 2015

What dog was Rodney?

What dog was Rodney?




What shreds of sleep stitched
dream to memory to make
my waking moments march
to melody un-thought for
fifty years? 
                       The BBC
and Light Programme and
Children’s Favourites and Uncle Mac and

Pocca-pick-a-lean-yah,
He played the con-suh-tee-nyah,
Pocca-pick-a-lean-yah,
From sun-knee It-tar-lee!

Less than a minute’s Ipad’s use and I
had found the title, singer and the date,
together with a link to ‘53 and
Decker singing what I thought I knew.

The music channelled thought
and stuck the present to the past.

Space, learning, life, experience – irrelevant:
a moment of unsettling now.

Abrupt: a sonic wormhole.
Giving and yet mocking;
emphasising what can’t be
matched up so easily.

Remembered words were wrong.
I had forgotten, if I ever knew,
the narrative: lost concertina
eventually restored with simian aid
to general delight. 
                       But tune and attitude
were part of me, a key
just waiting to be turned
inside a lock available to all.

First dog my parents had
I think I never knew.
‘Rodney,’ unlikely name belying
mongrel status that I think that he had.
His life is shadow now, beyond the click.
There’s no one left to ask.
No records to consult.

And does it matter?
Silly questions
never asked because
there’s always time.

But time is ever now,
as then denies the space
to hear what is not said.







No comments:

Post a Comment